Nikki’s Spiced Chocolate Chia Pudding

Happy Friday!  Nikki here from Fresh Young Coconut, a high-raw vegan blog.  One of the benefits of eating high-raw is that most of the food is gluten-free by default.  That makes for some happy bellies.  Being a lover of xgfx.org I jumped at the chance to make a MoFo guest appearance.

Today’s treat is Spiced Chocolate Chia Pudding, a sweet and spicy Fall favorite of mine that’s yummy enough to be a dessert, but healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast.  In case you’ve been missing out on the chia goodness until now, they’re an easily digested, high fiber, nutrition-packed seed that form a gel when mixed with liquid and take on the taste of whatever you mix them with.  When left whole they remind me of tiny tapioca.  When mixed with chocolate they become a tasty and wholesome way to indulge your sweet tooth.  I love chia seeds almost as much as I love Fall.

Spiced Chocolate Chia Pudding

• 1/2 cup chia seeds
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 2 cups coconut milk beverage (or nut milk of your choice)
  • 1/3 cup raw cashews
  • 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • pinch sea salt

Stir together the chia seeds and shredded coconut in a mixing bowl.

In a high powered blender mix together the rest of the ingredients until completely smooth. Stir the wet mix into the seed mixture.

Let sit for 15 minutes and stir again. At this point the pudding can be divided into individual serving cups or left in the bowl to refrigerate. I like to put mine in 8 ounce juice glasses. Refrigerate at least 2-3 hours before serving. Makes about 4 servings.

Now, this recipe is super flexible so you can make this completely raw or less raw depending on your nut milk, sweetener and cacao vs. cocoa.  It’s just a little bit spicy.  Adding more cayenne will heat it up if you’re into that sort of thing.  Enjoy!

This entry was posted in Awesome, Breakfast, dessert, Desserts, Guest Post, Raw, Vegan MoFo 5 and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

7 Comments

1. Posted October 21, 2011 at 1:21 am | Permalink

Thanks for this great post, Nikki! I am in need of more chia recipes, so I’m especially excited to try this.
    xo
    kittee

2. Posted October 21, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

This looks awesome! It would be prefect for the summer time – when it’s too hot to cook!

3. Posted October 22, 2011 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Thanks for featuring Nikki on your site. She always has such yummy recipes, and this one is no exception :-)

4. Posted October 22, 2011 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

yumm! This looks so good – thanks for sharing. I am loving all of your raw recipes :)

5. lauren Osborne
    Posted January 28, 2012 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Thank you!! I just made this – SO awesomely easy and fast – I could drink the chocolate liquid by itself, and I’m going to use up all my chia seeds :) – laughing at myself because only made half recipe – guess I’ll make the rest tomorrow. I didn’t use the pumpkin spice, cinnamon, or cayenne – just plain jane – used 2 dates (or 4 for full recipe) in place of agave/maple syrup – almond milk – so great – thanks again – happy I found this corner of the world xxgfoo

6. Posted April 2, 2012 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

I love this!

2 Trackbacks

1. By I am vegan, hear me rawr! « on March 4, 2012 at 7:55 am

[...] dessert, we kept in the raw spirit and had some chocolate chia pudding that we made from the fabulous Fresh Young Coconut. Chia seeds soak up liquids they sit in and if [...]

2. By I am vegan, hear me rawr! | Luminous Vegans on September 27, 2013 at 6:03 pm